I remember a time when kids would take erasers and then rub them on their arms for, like, a long time. And, then they would get some really ugly scab for a few days. But, for some reason, it was cool.
I get it, fads are fads. But, this was one where I was … say 13 or so… where I honestly looked at people and said, “Really? I’d so much rather wear a slap bracelet while pogging or something.”
Still never got that whole eraser thing.
It’s a game that is every bit as dangerous as its name sounds.
The “choking game” is commonly carried out by teens and pre-teens looking to get a high by restricting oxygen flow to the brain through various means. Unlike other games, there are no winners in the choking game: consequences include memory loss, brain damage and even death.
In the Bangor Area School District, Superintendent Frank DeFelice issued a letter to all parents and guardians warning them of the choking game after he said school officials “became aware that some of our students have voluntarily engaged in the dangerous activity.”
DeFelice said this week that the letter, also posted on the district website homepage, was issued in response to incidents involving students that occurred outside of school. No choking game incidents have occurred at any school district properties, he noted. SOURCE: WFMZ.com
Sure, we’re freaking out about this now, aren’t we parents? But, the second your wife asks you to choke her you’re all about it.
Double standards much?
In any event, if you see students choking each other, try offering them some alternatives such as… meth or those Twilight movies.