Last week, we reported on some marijuana cookies that some high school students ate. Of course, this resulted in a bit of a freak out in the community, culminating in a letter home to parents ;).
Well, they tracked down the nefarious source of the pot cookies and, yep, it was pot growing mushroom having hippies!
Phillipsburg police said several Phillipsburg High School students became sick after eating marijuana-laced cookies. Two people were charged Thursday night. A Pohatcong Township couple were charged Thursday night in connection with the marijuana-laced cookies that sickened several high school students, authorities said.
Sharon A. Getz, 46, and Dennis Horvath, 56, both of the 100 block of Riegelsville-Warren Glen Road (Route 627), were growing marijuana in their home they share with Getz’s two sons, according to court documents.
Police found potted marijuana plants, paraphernalia, the drug drying and packaged, and hallucinogenic mushrooms, according to reports. Suspected marijuana cookies were also found, which authorities believe to be related to those ingested by Phillipsburg High School students earlier in the day.
When marijuana is baked and ingested, it can have similar effects to smoking the drug, said Yvette Day, executive director of Community Prevention Resources of Warren County Inc. in Washington.
“It can stay in the body a while longer because of the way the digestive system works,” she said.
Day said effects include feelings of relaxation, hunger and loss of inhibition.
“To say it’ll not have an ill effect is preposterous,” she said, noting that there isn’t much research available on the subject. “Who knows what was put into it?”
Both are charged with manufacturing marijuana, three counts of drug possession and, because of Getz’s sons at home, child abuse. They were held in the Warren County jail before posting 10 percent of $25,000 bail.
Calls to their home for comment were not returned. SOURCE: The Express-Times
I love how they grab an “expert” on pot to educate the public on the effects of ingesting it.
And, c’mon, there are like one bazillion experiments on what happens when you ingest marijuana, they just aren’t documented because everyone gets wayyyyy too caught up in watching He-Man.